Saturday, April 24, 2021

MY REACTION TO THE FIVE STAGES OF PARKINSON’S

I realize that Parkinson’s disease impacts people in different and unique ways, and not everyone will experience all the symptoms of Parkinson’s. If they do, they will not necessarily experience them in quite the same order or at the same intensity. I also recognize that there are typical patterns of progression in Parkinson’s disease that are defined within five stages. I am amazed by how long I lived with stage one, how many years it took to develop into stage two and how quickly it advanced to stage three . . . I believe that the symptoms indicating a faster progression of change began in 2015 and lasted through early 2020, when the freezing of gate first appeared.
The change from two to three was even more rapid in that within a few months I had ‘progressed’ a stage. My current neurologist puts me at mid-stage, which I might agree with to some extent. I would guess, based on the descriptions of each of the five stages, is that I am at a late stage two or early stage three. I have had to re-learn how to do things that previously were natural, subconscious actions. For example, walking now involves an awareness of my surroundings and requires a thoughtful effort before taking the first step.
I cherish my independence so I absolutely refuse to let PD own me and I will fight this beast with every ounce of my being. I have read that it is possible, with the right medical guidance, exercise, and changes in lifestyle, to drop back a stage.
That is my ultimate goal.